The CIES 2017 Annual Conference will feature a series of pre-conference workshops on Sunday March 5th. These are designed to offer a space for attendees to engage with experts on important issues and questions related to research, policy and practice in comparative and international education. Workshops should have a pedagogic orientation such that attendees leave with enhanced skills, knowledge and understanding. Past CIES Workshops have addressed research methods and particular data sets; engaged with topics or fields of particular interest; offered training in specific curricular or pedagogical approaches.
The CIES 2017 Program Committee invites proposals for pre-conference workshops, three or six hours in duration, to be scheduled on Sunday March 5th during the following time-slots: 8:30am-11:30am, 11:45am-2:45pm, and 3:00pm-6:00pm. Each workshop room will be set with round tables, a podium, a laptop (with internet access) plus LCD projector with screen, and a flipchart with a set of markers.
Proposals for workshops are due October 15th, 2016. They are not to be submitted via CIES’ AllAcademic proposal management system but instead should be sent directly to the conference organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “workshop proposal”. All workshop proposals should include:
- the title of the proposed workshop (titles should identify content, prospective audience and give a clear idea of the workshop’s content);
- a 500-750 word proposal that presents a rationale for the workshop and includes a curricular plan that clearly lays out the workshop’s learning objectives and the delivery / pedagogical methods to be used;
- the CVs/resumes of the chief workshop organizers;
- the proposed duration and maximum number of participants (typically in the range of 20-40, depending on the nature of the workshop);
- any special technology, supplies, or room set-up requests beyond what is specified above;
- a 100-150 word abstract that makes clear to potential attendees the significance of the workshop topic and what will be gained from attendance (this abstract will appear in the promotional material if your proposal is selected); and,
- short, 30-50 word biographies of each workshop leader (these biographies will appear in the promotional material if your proposal is selected).
While sponsorship/endorsement is not required, please also indicate in your cover email if the workshop is being proposed by a CIES SIG or Standing Committee. Decisions on accepted workshops will be made by November 15, 2016 and the workshop registration will be posted and made available to CIES members shortly afterwards. Pre-registration will be required for all workshops at a flat daily rate of $25, which entitles the attendee to participate in up to three workshops on Sunday March 5th. We expect workshop leaders to come largely from the ranks of CIES membership and to also be attending and registered for the overall conference. However, in the event that a proposed workshop involves outside experts we will provide complimentary one-day conference registration for up to four leaders per workshop.
Please contact the CIES 2017 organizers at email@example.com with any questions or requests.